In the early 1920's our area had no fire company, and people stood helpless while several local landmarks burned to the ground. The largest of these fires was the Hasbrouck Feed Mill fire located on Route 44-55 in Modena. These fires prompted a meeting of a half dozen locals during the winter of 1928. They wanted to help their neighbors in times of need. In May of 1928, the Hasbrouck Chemical Company was formed. The original department consisted of 33 active members and a used 1924 Dodge Chemical Truck stored in a garage on Route 32. Through various fund raising efforts, enough money was saved to build the main core of today’s firehouse in 1932. The building consisted of a small meeting room and one small truck bay.
During the Depression it became nearly impossible to obtain money to operate the fire department. The Modena Fire District was formed in 1936, funded by taxpayer money. Throughout the years the taxpayers have approved additions to the firehouse and the purchase of equipment to meet the needs of a growing community. In 1963, the Ladies Auxiliary was formed by the wives of the firemen, and they continue to meet the needs of the department through fundraising efforts.
In 1965, the members of the department organized the creation of the Modena Rescue Squad, providing medical care for the community. With the formation of an ambulance corps, the Modena Fire Department became one of the first departments in the area to accept women as members. In 2002, the department voted to consolidate services and brand themselves Modena Fire and Rescue.
Visit our Apparatus page to see the modern equipment we use today in responding to approximately 125 fire calls and 400 ambulance calls annually. Modena Fire and Rescue has been able to operate 100% volunteer for nearly a century thanks to the dedication of our members and the generosity of our community. Here are the selfless individuals who have led our organization over the years: